Hot air ballooning is new to Nepal. In fact, it was started in the year 2000 on the increasing demand of the foreign tourists. On one hour hot air balloon flight, this spectacular view becomes unforgettable. Rise gently over the red-tile roofed houses, temples and stupas and drift weightlessly over green terraced fields in the crip morning air. Within minutes of the ascent, the majestic Himalayan panorama will greet you, from the rugged Langtang Himal all the way to Mt. Everest.
Let moments freeze as you beyond the pristine valley and drift along on board the world's oldest but safest method of air travel. One hour on the balloon will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.
Flying 3000 m. above the Kathmandu valley safely perched on a wicker basket, opens up vast of enchanting sights accessible only to the initiated. Breathe easily in the fresh, crisp air of the quintessential Kathmandu dawn as you absorb the 360 view of awe-inspiring landscape - lush green hills, terraced fields enriched by nature's colors, terra-cotta structures huddled together like watchful sentinels, a gilded temple spire, lonely stupa. Each one bathed by the first golden rays of the rising sun.
Look right on and there before you rises in majestic splendor the fabled. Himalayan peaks. Illumined by stray strands of sunlight the snow capped Gosainthan, Phurbi-Gyanchu, Guari-Shanker, Chhoba-Bhamare, Melungste, Cho-Oyu, Chomolungma and Gyanchungkang all stand to greet you and lull you in to a dreamlike state that will live on as memories forever. Ride the winds and experience the most mesmerizing sky ride over Kathmandu-the moment that makes dreams a reality
Daily flight, weather permitting, from the first week of October through to the end of April.
- AGE: There is no age barrier to enjoy flights. However, degree of fitness is required as we may have to walk through paddocks after landing. There are no seats in the basket - therefore, standing for the duration of the flight (about an hour) is unavoidable. We do not recommend bringing very small children. The reason are twofold-the first being the comfort and enjoyment of the other passengers. The baskets are quite small and young children often get restless when in confined areas. The second reason is more practical. The walls of the baskets are four feet high, small children would have difficulty in seeing over, unless carried by an adult (an arduous task for a one hour fight). We do stipulate that children under 12 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- WHEN: Take off soon after sunrise. Winds are usually at their calmest then. Winter months provide the most reliable conditions. We fly in the summer, but very early in the morning.
- DURATION: Normally fly for about an hour, but this is at the pilot's discretion, taking into account the winds, temperature and weight carried on the day.
- WHAT TO WEAR: Dress as for hiking, including sturdy shoes or boots plus sun glasses, gloves and a cap. It does not get any colder in the balloon than on the ground.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Our advice is to bring more film than you think you'll need. There is so much to see, from an entirely new perspective - you'll want to record it all to relive later.
- PAYMENTS/REFUNDS: Payments must be made at least 3 days prior to flight. As ballooning is dependant on favorable weather conditions and safety is our first consideration and we will not fly it conditions are unsuitable. If you are "weathered out" you may rebook for this season or the next, or receive a refund.